Sunday, May 4, 2008

Chatter

I am a conversationalist, but I am not sure that I am a chatter.

Today, for the first time, I chatted with people online via facebook chat. Probably not the most "hip" online messaging system, but a system nonetheless. It was really bizarre when I would go to type something, and then the person on the other end with answer the question before I asked it. All convention was sped up--everyone knew what was coming next and jumped right to it.

I'm not sure I like that. I like conversations where I can take a minute to gather my thoughts, savor words that are coming in, and slowly reveal what's stirring inside my head (which is important to me, but which varies in profundity.) Online communication is convenient and fast-paced...but something seems to be missing. The pauses, the mystery, the inflections--I miss all these things.

What I most love are blogs like this, where I can state my opinions, and it is usually several days, if ever, before someone disagrees with me.

Ah, so removed...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this blog is amazing!

Anonymous said...

hmmmm....this "facebook chat" you speak of sounds somewhat like this thing i've heard of...i think they call it.....oh!! ya! i think it's called instant messenger!

Cody Milliron said...

Wow, someone think that your blog is amazing. Well I do too but I haven't had time to read the whole thing yet. I plan on doing that before I go to bed tonight.

The only complaint I have is you not having an instant messaging program drastically removes my ability to have a real-time conversation with you.

Peace