Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Communion

Tonight, as I was chatting with a friend, I mentioned that at the end of the day all people really want is someone to listen to them; I felt quite the ideological thief: sorry Coldplay. ("Square One"--you want someone listening to what you say /it doesn't matter who you are) It is so amazing to me that humans, of all different sorts, long for one simple thing: communion. Connection with some person, some God, whatever...It is not enough to be alone.

Which I am going to take up with my employer, who sets me loose on a shiny grocery store floor by myself for most the day...

That said...I just think that this is an epiphany of sorts. And its one of those things that sounds realy cheesy when someone else says it, but seems very meaningful to you when you actually think it through.

But the other thing that interests me is that I think humans long, at their core, for spiritual communion, for purpose and unconditional love.

Our hearts are restless until they find their rest in Thee...

4 comments:

Nick B said...

you really should check out Soul Cravings by Erwin McManus.

If this is something you've been thinking about a lot lately then it is ridiculously right up your cognitive alley.

alyssa said...

Living in community with my suite last year, and then abruptly leaving that community and returning to a very lonely life as an only child has been one of my own revelations that I need communion in my life.

However, I see the benefit in both situations. Because when I'm left on my own and feel the need for connection, that's when I turn most devotedly to God. But then again, when I'm surrounded by beautiful people who are genuinely (mutually) caring and interested in what's going on with me, that's when I feel the closest (although, of course, not always close enough) to the unconditional love of God.

Anonymous said...

good stuff dude. I like the mixing of Coldplay/St. Augustine.

Cody Milliron said...

Fellowship. It is one of the fundamental elements to Christianity, but it is often one that is most over look.

Good thoughts young grasshopper.