Friday, June 27, 2008

The Angry White Male

The thing I love about college is how you learn so much at a distance...

And then, all of a sudden, when you are immersed in the brutal world of bills and beer you realize that the world you are studying actually exists.

Today, I met an Angry White Male.

I learned about him in "Gender and Communication."

He lives in the postindustrial world which robs him of any skill or dignity.

He works close to the ground to rub two pennies together.

He thinks black people and women have taken all opportunity from him.

And I do not know whether to feel sorry for him or his ignorance.

Or both.

I probably feel sorry for both.

This Angry White Male
dropped out of college
and was married to Little Debbie.
Then Papa Kroger paid his way through school in 89.
Then he was turned down by the Man
because he was not a minority.
Then he pissed ass (his words not mine no not mine) around the store for the rest of his working years.

Do I feel sorry for him or his ignorance or both?

2 comments:

Cody Milliron said...

When faced with this situation, one must ponder if pity is the best way to help this man, even though it is well warranted.

But to answer your question I would feel sorry for his perception of the world. The poor fella see every thing as a curse.

alyssa said...

I think pitying his ignorance is a form of pitying him. His ignorance is what perpetuates his situation, which i think makes it the proper subject for pity.

But that might be insensitive.